 Trains / 30584
30583  |  30585
Subject:
"Coffee Pot" steam railcar & carriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:40:49 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I’ve long been a fan of the Coffee Pot narrow gauge steam railcar, running on the South Australian Narrow Gauge, and now part of the Pichi Richi Railway in Quorn. I understand that the Coffee Pot is no longer running, but has been, over the years, a major drawcard for the railway.

I finally got around to building a model inspired by it:

When pondering what could be done with the IR train base for a small train, the Coffee Pot leapt to mind. The wider (near 8-wide) body helps achieve a narrow gauge look, while the carriage body/loco cab separation helps to make what is quite a sizeable vehicle look smaller (or ‘cute’ as some observers have commented). As I noted elsewhere I have been very impressed with the operation of the IR system – both in terms of wireless control and in terms of battery life (more than 8 hours out of one set of cheap rechargables).

There are some more pics here if anyone is interested.

And, having enjoyed running the Coffee Pot for a couple of days, I decided I needed to build some other rolling stock of a similar size and style. I toyed with building a four wheel van (which ran with the real Coffee Pot on occasion), but decided on something a little larger and more interesting, a generic short wheelbase end platform carriage:

And, again, some more pics here.

Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux