 Trains / 30583 (-20)
  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) I have to say, this looks pretty slick, I bet it looks fantastic in action. Clever work of the floating assembly of the fixed valve gear to drive wheels, I know that space is WAY tight! well done :) You really need some side hand rails along (...) (16 years ago, 19-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Post your bogie/truck designs

(...) (URL) Here's one. It's an NA pasenger truck. The MPD and 2 axel varients are in my brickshelf folder: (URL) Bothe end axels "float". But changing it to a single end floating works fine as well. And you could replace a 2x2 end tile withe a (...) (16 years ago, 17-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) ... (...) And thank you Tony, like Cale you are too kind. The cylinders are rigidly fixed with the drivers (well, there's a little slop), so the whole unit rotates together. The hard part was making it small and sturdy. The end result works, (...) (16 years ago, 15-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) ... (...) Thank you Cale, you're too kind. I just wish I was at BW long enough to get a decent photo of our two N&W engines side by side. Indeed, I plan on featuring shots of the running gear off of the locomotive in the forthcoming RB (...) (16 years ago, 15-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

(...) The review might have been a little too dead pan if the folks at Lego lurking these dark halls take it seriously. I suspect it was purely SKU's, since most children getting the set would already have a small oval in hand, a ton of curves (...) (16 years ago, 15-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Post your bogie/truck designs

(...) --snip-- (...) It's annoying enough when you forget to post in a relavent thread, it's even more annoying when you started the thread... Another design from me at (URL). Tim (16 years ago, 15-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Technic based bogie experiment

(URL) Hi all, When looking at some of (URL) Swoofty>'s excellent bogie designs I realised that studless technic could be a great way to create smaller and more 'realistic' bogies than regular system bricks. This is my first attempt and, while I've (...) (16 years ago, 15-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX) !

  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) Benn, this is just brilliant! What a gorgeous train you've built! I absolutely love this locomotive, and I've wanted to build it for some time, myself. I never would have thought to float the drivers and not the trucks on the locomotive, but (...) (16 years ago, 13-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) You've built your self a pretty awesome train Ben. The Norfolk and Western J class is my opinion one of the most beautiful streamlined steamers built. Your solution for the running gear is very innovative and looks like it works quite well. (...) (16 years ago, 13-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Beating up, kicking, and verbally abusing an old dead rotted horse...

(...) Compiling pre-existing code with the latest Visual C++ won't introduce the .NET framework into an app. The app would have to be rewritten to use .NET in order to get a .NET dependency in, so that's not an issue. Apps compiled with Visual (...) (16 years ago, 12-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

(...) To underscore that point, in a recent NELUG draft this summer, we had maybe 400 lots for our participants, about 17 of which were lots of curved track (unopened boxes or groups of 8 rails). Also in the draft were such undesireables as foam (...) (16 years ago, 12-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains)

  N&W J-class steam locomotive

I was finally able to clear out enough time and off enough room to photograph my N&W J-class steam engine (northern, 4-8-4) and consist. (URL) Full Gallery> I wanted to build the N&W J class for some time, but the bullet streamlining around the nose (...) (16 years ago, 12-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX) !

  Point Brique Historic Cable Railway Redux

I've long wanted to try my hand at one of those 'redux' MOCs which get talked about every so often, so when the opportunity to exhibit a layout again arose, I leapt at the chance to redux Point Brique. (URL) The PBHCR originally formed a part of the (...) (16 years ago, 11-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

(...) --snip-- (...) I found it hilarious enough to ask Richie to copy it to .trains but I guess if you don't appreciate satire it's not going to be for you. Perhaps a unicorn chaser of some minifigs doing something wacky would bring back the (...) (16 years ago, 10-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

Hi Ted, (...) That's an AFOLT point of view. We enjoy long straight track, imitating real word railtrack. Now, focus just one moment on kids point of view. They enjoy to alternate right curves with left ones, making their train snaking their way, (...) (16 years ago, 10-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

All- I have to assume this post is meant as a tongue and cheek joke (though I don't see that much humor). Ignoring that the rails are not 9V, there's the basic issue that the set is 50-50 straights and curves. That's a horrible ratio to force/foist (...) (16 years ago, 10-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Beating up, kicking, and verbally abusing an old dead rotted horse...

(...) (URL) (16 years ago, 10-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

(...) Was this serious? You didn't say that the staight track can go at 22.5, 45, 67.5 degrees etc. David (16 years ago, 10-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Beating up, kicking, and verbally abusing an old dead rotted horse...

(...) One particular enhancement I'd like is better track height and slope management. I'd like to be able to set each individual track piece end height to the nearest 1/6 of a plate height. My layout has many track pieces at non-integer plate (...) (16 years ago, 7-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

I enjoyed reading this review. Bravo, sir. (16 years ago, 7-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains) !

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact