 Trains / 30216
30215  |  30217
Subject:
12v train power
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:01:44 GMT

I have the Lego 7864 transformer, which I brought to US from Holland. I use it
in
conjunction with a 110V->220V transformer. This seemed to be going well and
my 7740 was still working after all these years. Then suddenly the motor
broke. I decided to measure the voltage as I also had the impression it ran
much better than in my youth. Turns out the track got 16V. The transformer
says it is for input of 220V. My wall socket here in New York has 123V so my
110->220V transformer puts out nearly 250V!

Questions:

- the 7864 was never sold in the USA; what do most ppl with 12V trains use
as a power source here?

- how much voltage is supposed to be on the track? Is it really only 12v or
a bit more in case of no load and down in case of heavy load?

- Should I buy another model train controller that puts out -12 to 12VDC or
can I somehow modify the 7864?

Thanks for any insights.