 Trains / 29732
Re: building a 4-4-0 American with BBB wheels, advice wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2007 18:10:48 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
I am thinking about building a 4-4-0 American in 6-wide using BBB wheels.
Can anyone suggest what size wheels I should use for the various wheel sets
(front truck, driving wheels, tender) to make it look true-to-prototype?.
Can use any of the BBB wheels as well as the tiny LEGO train wheels.

I had very good luck using small and large BBB wheels for my 4-4-0 American on
my Christmas Train project.  See what I did here:
http://www.auctionbrick.com/mchiles/christmastrain/engineleft.htm

For the tender I just used a 9V engine, but if you had some other power method
then two bogies with a total of 8 small BBB wheels would be very prototypical
for a tender like that.  You can certainly use the tiny LEGO train wheels, too.
I find they look pretty small next to large BBB wheels, but I have not yet tried
the medium size.  Check the wheel ratios on your prototype and remember that you
can't get exact with Lego, so try more for making an idea train than a prototype
and you will probably be happier.

In case it matters, the "prototype" I am planning to use as a reference is
the 4-4-0 seen in Back To The Future 3.

Hummm... do you mean pre or post time machine conversion?  Could be some
interesting prototype possibilities there...  Good luck!

-Matt :)