 Trains / 29331
Re: Creative ways to run trains in small places
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:29:45 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Doug Dropeskey wrote:
I would like to have a train layout, with permanent structures, supplemental
vehicles, and so forth, but I really do not have the room for it.  Has anyone
come up with a creative way to build, run, and store a lego train layout in a
small space?  For example, I was thinking of a train table, perhaps 2x3 or 2x4
feet, that would scissor open to 1x6 or 1x8 and fit along a wall in the garage.
I know they can be run on high shelves surrounding a room, but that's too
intrusive for me.

Or to go another route, has lego produced microscale trains yet, in track sizes
comperable with HO scale?  Has anyone kitbashed HO scale trucks, powerpacks, and
couplings with lego parts for this purpose.

Thanks,

-Doug

I've done some straight line layouts and some branching ones for shunting, and
after a while they're no fun to run.  Tim's suggestion is the best.  Screw the
track down to some chipboard and hinge it to fold up out of the way.

To keep the depth of the layout small, the modified points that some people have
made (me included) where the side branch is equivalent to two curves are great.
You can have the smallest circle of track and add loops to each end to increase
the length, but not the depth.

Go from:  ()  to: (())

Even without them, you can still place sidings inside a loop rather than
outside.

Jason R