 Trains / 29067
29066  |  29068
Subject:
Hornby R8215 DCC decoder & LDCC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:41:47 GMT

I just wanted to share my experiences with this decoder, before someone goes out and buys a bunch of them and gets disappointed.

So, I bought it as an additional decoder for my decoupler1 since it is small, simple, relatively cheap (8GBP), and can handle a micro motor. As such, it works relatively fine. There are “only” two things that bother me:

1) When removed from the track, it forgets all the changes to the CVs. Or, maybe it just does a factory reset due to incompatibility issues with LDCC (the decoder seems to be notorious for its incompatibility!) In practice, this means that you can’t have more than one on a track, unless they are to work together. Pity, since I already planned putting another one for the level crossing. Unfortunately, I don’t have any other DCC equipment to test whether the behaviour is the same or whether it is something specific to LDCC.

2) When put on the track, the decoder doesn’t work immediately, it needs to be “awaken” somehow, either by moving the train motor or sometimes by changing CV values. Quite irritating.

1 And it works! I do apologise for the extremely bad quality, I will try to make a better clip when the sun will be out and I’ll have time to set it up.

-- Matija