 Trains / 29001
29000  |  29002
Subject:
A Technic Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 14:03:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The new Lego remote-controlled (RC) trains use train wheels with Technic axle holes (only in the wheels connected to the motor, unfortunately). This creates an opportunity to power a train using essentially any Technic or Mindstorms motor, not just the highlyl-specialized train motors.

This is my first attempt to build a Technic-powered train. The main construction is the powered bogie track. It is about the same size as the RC train motor, and in particular, the distance between the axles is exactly the same. It is seven Lego units wide, one unit wider than most Lego trains, but a width that makes sense for studless construction, since most of the studless beams have odd lengths. The height of the bogie is one plate higher than the height of the RC train motor. The construction is high enough off the track to allow it to move freely, even across switch points.

This bogie truck has an axle protroduing up. This axle both powers the wheels, and pulls the engine (the locomotive). The top of this truck is flat, allowing it to rotate freely under the engine. The powered bogie truck The axle of the powered bogie powers all four wheels, just like the Lego train motors.

I posted complete building instructions.