 Trains / 28979

Subject:
Combining RC-Train and Blue Rails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:30:06 GMT

Hi All,

The picture below shows my attempt to connect RC-train rails and 1970’s blue rails. The RC train can easily traverse the gap in the rails when it is going straight (at least one straight segment on each side of the gap). When it is going into or coming out of a curve, it sometimes derails.

Using these connections I was able to run the RC Freight Train, with a few old blue-rail cars, on the following track with out it derailing too often...

My experience so far is that the RC train derails on the blue rails mostly when they don’t line up perfectly (it’s pretty easy to line them up imperfectly, since the connections between them are not nearly as rigid as on newer rails). But when the rails line up well, the train runs well.

If anybody has better ideas for linking blue rails to the RC rails, I’ll be happy to see them.

Re: Combining RC-Train and Blue Rails
   If anybody has better ideas for linking blue rails to the RC rails, I’ll be happy to see them.

Looks pretty good. Have you tried using a jumper plate? I don’t know exactly how far apart the blue and bley rails are, but it looks to be almost a half-stud. Could you put a jumper plate on the 2x8s holding the blue rails on, a 1x1 plate on the bley rail, and a 1x3 (or 1x4) to hold them together? Or is the gap just a little smaller than a half stud width?

--Tony

Re: Combining RC-Train and Blue Rails
   If anybody has better ideas for linking blue rails to the RC rails, I’ll be happy to see them.

Looks pretty good. Have you tried using a jumper plate? I don’t know exactly how far apart the blue and bley rails are, but it looks to be almost a half-stud. Could you put a jumper plate on the 2x8s holding the blue rails on, a 1x1 plate on the bley rail, and a 1x3 (or 1x4) to hold them together? Or is the gap just a little smaller than a half stud width?

--Tony

Works perfectly! The train runs very smoothly over this link. On one side there is still an indentation in the new gray rail, but on the other the gray and blue rails line up perfectly. Here is the construction:

However, when since the 1x3 plates are only mounted on 4 1x1’s, they can rotate a bit and misalign the rails. A 1x8 plate or tile connected to more studs on the new rail solves the problem.

Thanks a lot, Sivan

Re: Combining RC-Train and Blue Rails
   If anybody has better ideas for linking blue rails to the RC rails, I’ll be happy to see them.

Looks pretty good. Have you tried using a jumper plate? I don’t know exactly how far apart the blue and bley rails are, but it looks to be almost a half-stud. Could you put a jumper plate on the 2x8s holding the blue rails on, a 1x1 plate on the bley rail, and a 1x3 (or 1x4) to hold them together? Or is the gap just a little smaller than a half stud width?

--Tony

Works perfectly! The train runs very smoothly over this link. On one side there is still an indentation in the new gray rail, but on the other the gray and blue rails line up perfectly. Here is the construction:

SNIPED

   However, when since the 1x3 plates are only mounted on 4 1x1’s, they can rotate a bit and misalign the rails. A 1x8 plate or tile connected to more studs on the new rail solves the problem.

Thanks a lot, Sivan

It looks like 2 pair of jumper plates on the RC track and a pair of 1x2 plates on the old track would be even more rigid.

Mat Clayson

[...]

No problem, glad it worked. A smaller option to help secure the rails would be to move the jumper plate to the bley rails, and replace the 1x1 plate with a 1x2, attaching it to the blue rails. You should be able to use a 1x4 plate or tile to connect the rails together, and it should prevent the rails from slipping.

--Tony

Re: Combining RC-Train and Blue Rails