 Trains / 28931
Re: Rural Train Station LEGO Factory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:19:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
   This train station was designed using LEGO(R) Digital Designer 2.0 and the LEGO Factory palette of parts.

It is presented in two forms. One presentation places the station into a scene complete with railway platform, grass area with picnic table, driveway, etc. This full-layout scene (without train track) has a footprint of 32 x 64 studs-- the size of two Town/City System road plates. The other presentation is of only the train station building without the surrounding extras.

I priced the full station scene with LEGO Factory. It has 2249 pieces, and a US$227 cost. The station building by itself has 1360 pieces, and a US$133 cost.

In case you are further curious, I didn’t use LDraw or MLCad during any part of the design process. It has taken a bit of time to get comfortable with some of the ways LDD makes me think and work within its environment, as well as qualifying some of my behavior intrinsic to how MLCad operates. I find that I really do appreciate the collision detection and rotation tools in LDD, but sometimes I do still get frustrated in LDD when parts-- or a big group of conntected parts-- just won’t seem to snap-to where I want them to go. But, from my experience, I find LDD 2.0 to be much better than LDD 1.6.

later,

James Mathis

PS: I have a new LEGO Factory username: JamesMathis2pt0

Awesome work, James. I’m incredibly impressed and especially that it’s LDD pure. I’d love to see the bike sold as a separate model (hint, hint).

Tim