 Trains / 28891
28890  |  28892
Subject:
A story, and a new Trains website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:38:04 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

As we near the release of LDD 2.0, I offer the following tale...

Two weeks ago, I was visiting the Tyson’s Corner LEGO Store. Although the store still sells 9V track and motors, they no longer carry 9V train sets, which number only a few these days as LEGO transitions to the Hobby Train model of train operations. I happened to overhear a parent in the store ask what must be an increasingly common question these days:

“Where can I find additional cars for my child’s LEGO train set?”

I did not catch the clerk’s reply, and perhaps it mentioned the LEGO Factory website. However, the Factory website makes it difficult to locate high-quality models that fit well with existing LEGO trains. It does not have the feel of an electronic catalog of quality MOCs but rather a hunt for needles in a haystack of very small pictures. For the AFOL and the advanced young hobby train builder, the Factory website does not meet the bill.

In response, I have designed trainbase, a website that (in my opinion) makes it easier to locate quality train models,

http://jordanschwarz.com/trainbase

Presently the website features the models of seven builders whose galleries on LEGO Factory encompass both quantity and quality of train creations. The website describes each builder’s key models and styles of building and links to each builder’s gallery. There are already over 150 train models linked from this website presently with just seven builders. The difference is that now, one need not sift through pages and pages of models to find good ones.

My hope is that the next time someone asks where they can find inspiration and new cars for their LEGO train, they can check out the UTB set and visit the websites for trainbase,http://save.9vtrains.com and, of course, http://news.lugnet.com/trains. Although there is some redundancy among these websites, I hope that since information is presented in different ways, this will help LEGO Trains to appeal to broader and more diverse audiences.

I welcome your constructive comments and suggestions of additional builders to be listed on the website.

-Jordan Schwarz