 Trains / 28762
Re: Interesting Article About Train hobby....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:44:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Davis wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:

   Too bad TLG is taking its trains line backwards instead of forwards...

Although the major by-line was “KIDS DON’T WANT TO ASSEMBLE SETS”. I agree with you that trains might be more marketable since Harry Potter etc., but it seems the main thrust of the upsurge may be “out of the box usability”, which actually the hobby train would seem to fit at least as well, perhaps better, than the 9V system with a lot of extra wires.

Interesting article. It doesn’t seem to take a lot to turn kids heads (for good or bad).

When I was very young I loved a battery-operated train with plastic track because you could make up layouts at random. This particular one wasn’t as sophisticated as the Duplo train, but the track was cheap. Kind of like a soft plastic version of Brio trains.

It seems to me the only advantage of the IR system is it can be aimed at younger children.

As I got older the cost of replacing batteries in my slot racing system meant it sat on the shelf a lot of the time. Even modern rechargeables can be a barrier to ‘instant play’. I desperately wanted sustained mains power. I guess that’s why they’re now pitching 9V as a ‘hobby’ train, for an older age group.

But assembling a train layout and building a LEGO train from bricks are two different experiences, so I shouldn’t read too much into that. If you don’t want to assemble your train track, get your Dad to buy a bit of chipboard and nail it down. It’s not hard.

But, if you are going to dismantle the layout every time, then it’s probably not advisable to go much beyond a plastic (or wooden!) track system.

Personally I suspect a lot of this is down to TV advertising - there was a time when Christmas presents were a surprise, selected by the parents. The age at which kids now start pestering for exactly what they want is lowering, so there’s less opportunity for parents to slip in some ‘interesting’ toys.

I wonder how many of the Duplo Thomas’s that get sold actually get used on loops of track - especially since there’s no motor available?

Jason R