 Trains / 28706
Re: Two Soo Line GP38-2s and an Introduction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:26:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Matt Hamann wrote:
After seeing my local LTC's layout at the Ohio State Fair this past summer I
started to take an interest in LEGO trains and town. The fact that I was
becoming bored with space also helped a bit. ;-) After attending a COLTC meeting
in October and attending the NMRA Dayton show in early November I was hooked.
Shortly after the show I rented Getting Started with LEGO Trains from the
library and began working on a GP38-2 based off of Jake's design my heavily
modified. By the next show in December at the Preble County Senior Citizens
Center I had my first one ready. You can see the results here:
I soon became obsessed with making the Soo logo as accurate as possible in brick
form without using decals and came up with this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mattH/GP38-2/NewLetters/soo_letteringredeux.ldr
Each section sometimes will bend in a little and requires taking the top half
off to fix it, but I'll live.

After I had finished making the first GP I felt compelled to make another one. I
did a google image search of Soo and GP38-2s and saw an image of a Soo
locomotive in an older color scheme. The design is almost the same as the other
one I made but with some differences here and there. For example, the rear end
is one stud shorter due to the SNOT on the sides and aft end. Here is a picture
of what I came up with:
I'm not entirely happy with how the cabin came out because the red should start
where the front window is not one stud back. Perhaps I'll come up something
later.
Here is the whole gallery on brickshelf:

Well, that's it; please let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is
always greatly appreciated. :-)

Hi Matt,

Great builds. My favourite bit of these is the use of the exoforce claw part in
the nose. It looks fantastic. The italics are another great addition.

As for crits, I think it might look a little better if you made the side windows
a little longer (by two plates) and used a 1x2 tile on the edge of the
windscreen rather than the current 2x2.

Tim