 Trains / 28215
Re: LDD Train Station MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:30:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D’Urbano wrote:

   Hi Jordan,

This looks really cool and impressive. I tried to find it in your gallery on factory.lego.com (username jbschwarz) but I didn’t see it there. I normally like to download LDD MOCs so I can spin them around in LDD and check them out from different angles.

I’ve actually been eying your AEM-7 and matching passenger car for a while. I used to ride NJTransit on the Northeast Corridor in the early 90’s so I’m always drawn to Amtrak stuff in the old gray/red/white/blue livery. I really like your detailing on the locomotive. I think the front strays a bit from the prototype but I quite like the look anyway. It still captures that European-electric feel and reminds me of James Mathis’ model for the 10183 set coming out the Spring.

One question on the AEM-7: are the trucks attached properly in the model you submitted? Looks like the couplers won’t reach another car. Playing around with your model (converted to LDraw) made me think you can move the trucks out one stud towards the ends.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you I like your stuff and have been watching your Factory gallery for potential sets I may be purchasing in the future.

Thanks!

Paul D’Urbano

Paul and Mark,

Thanks for your compliments. It looks like the station on Factory is still awaiting moderator approval as of this morning, thus explaining why it is not visible. I should add that, I priced out the station as pictured (without the AEM7) and it came in at $180. After looking at the price tables, I noticed I can get the price down by $15 just by using 2-way headlight bricks instead of 4-way ones. I will be posting revised designs on Factory later today with that modification, a station without platforms, and a station with only the center canopy (not the two smaller ones) in an effort to reach a more reasonable price point.

I must acknowledge James Mathis’ creative use of bricks in designing the front of the 10183 locomotive as an inspiration for the AEM7. The real AEM7 has a front windscreen at a very shallow slope, and using the hinge bricks was a good way to achieve that. Some design liberties were indeed taken, since the Factory brick assortment doesn’t always have what one would like. I think that the AEM7 would adapt well to 7-wide, though this would make it even more expensive. The AEM7 should remind you of a European electric - it is a Swedish design, license-built by GE.

As far as truck placement goes, I’m not sure how those will work, having not yet ordered that set. The Metroliner uses similarly-recessed couplers without issue. I’ll have to check out the model in LDRAW and see if it looks OK.

-Jordan