 Trains / 28133
Re: Newbie question about old lego trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:21:05 GMT

Rob wrote:
In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Rob vanBrandenburg wrote:
Hello,

I've dug up my old Lego trains and am planning on putting it back together
for my kids to play with.
When I went on the Lego site I noticed that they have completely changed the
rails and trains.

My set is still the one with the blue rails and the glider strip in the
middle that powers the train.
I'm in need of a transformer for this kit, since I've moved to Canada from
Holland, and for obvious reasons the
transformer I have does not work.

Any ideas where I could get these parts ?
Welcome back into trains.  I would second Tim's suggestion of checking out
<http://www.bricklink.com Bricklink>.  Personally, I would forget about Ebay.

Also, if I were you, I would consider converting to the new RC battery
system-- it might be cheaper for you without any loss of compatibility of
your track, and more importantly, any loss in the fun factor for your kids:-)

Good luck and Leg Godt!

[JOHN]

Thanks for all the replies !
I found item x1688c01 (motor) and item 2868b (speed control), so would this be
all I need ? Thanks for all your help.

Rob.

Unfortunately not. If you have this system  (blue or gray plastic rails
with a center brick with two conducting rails)
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=720_2&v=z
Then the transformer, which is 9v instead of 12v, that you are talking
about will not work without some modifications, and then it wouldn't
deliver the power that the 12v motor is looking for.

If I've picked a set from the appropriate time period then your options are
1. to go to LEGO and buy new 9v metal-railed track,
(http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=181&d=328), a 9v
metal-wheeled motor, and a speed controller
(http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=87&d=328) or buy these things
at bricklink.com

2. go to bricklink.com to buy the components that you need to convert
your train to the new battery system (LEGO doesn't sell the components
as accessories)

3. go to an electronics shop and buy a voltage adapter so you can plug
your current transformer into the wall, or

4. go to a hobby store and buy a 12v train transformer and hook it up to
the LEGO track.

As far as I know, the 12v system was never sold in the US or Canada, so
you won't be able to find a Canadian 12v transformer

Good Luck,
Chris
--
http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/lego/