 Trains / 27926
Re: Pictures from GWLTS-IV (Swindon, UK)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2006 01:48:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:

   Brilliant work, guys! Your layout is filled with many stunning MOCs in stunning colors that really is very pleasing in appearance. It seems to me to be more asthetically pleasing to present a layout in-line rather than in a large rectangular-type format. Unless the backdrops for a large, enclosed layout is extensive, I think the “background noise” of the other side is too distracting and detracts from the overall presentation. Does that make any sense? I mean, this is so nice (apart from the vagrant sleeping in the back....just kidding, Dean:-) having a “quiet” background of the wall to allow the viewer to focus on the layout and appreciate it more fully.

Kudos from across the pond! Thanks for sharing!

JOHN

Thanks John! In-line layouts just happen to suit the venues we usually display in. The problem tends to be trains being out of sight as they could be 15m+ away from you. We solve that problem by having a couple of joined in-line layouts that seamlessly integrate (but are not necessarily connected by track) and also placing controllers in a reasonably central position.

The STEAM museum is a fantastic place and our display is very fitting there. I like your comment about the absence of background noise, but did you notice what was behind the visitors? That takes some ignoring...or our display is even more impressive :-) OK, we can dream!

Martin