 Trains / 27730
Re: IR train base alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:30:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   Hey all, Well I’m at it again. This time I bring you something with more usability. As most of you reading this should know the Lego Company recently released 2 IR train sets. While the idea is great, the implementation left much to be desired. The main issue with the IR train is the train base, which holds the electronics. “The base is 6 studs wide by 30 long with a 4x10 stud blob protruding from the center” This train base while engineered for ease of use by kids, is extremely limiting for those who wish to build realistic and or custom models. To address this issue I began thinking of ideas and came up with the solution shown further down. ...

It’s a nice modification, but I can’t help thinking it’d be better and cheaper all round to just build an IR receiver circuit for this - there’s very little of the original configuration left in your mod.

One mod I would like to see (to save me the effort) is to remove the ends of the baseplate and re-attach them (either permanently or with technic pegs) to make a 16-stud long baseplate (or 18 studs at most). You could fit a wheelset on each end and use it like an old 4.5V battery tender. It would be a lot less work, a lot less vandalism, and would look OK in nearly all cases where you couldn’t just use the longer base.

It’d probably be easier to hide a plain boxcar in a small train than to hide the separate battery box and receiver.

Jason R