 Trains / 26411
    Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains —Steve Bliss
   (...) I'm not really hoping, but it would be awesome if they modified the existing motor to allow it to be powered by either battery or off the rails. The very best (IMO) would be like the trainmodders have done -- the power picked up from the rails (...) (18 years ago, 6-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains —Mike Petrucelli
   (...) The current 9v motor can be powered by rails or a battery box. Just plug a battery box where the light brick would normally connect and turn it on. The only thing is it will go backwards compared to normal power by the wheels. However a (...) (18 years ago, 6-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains —John Neal
   (...) Eureka, Mike! I think you have nailed it! The spy pics show metal wheels, suggesting that they are indeed still utilizing the 9 volt train motor. That side thingie I was concerned about now appears to be the sensor that gets the signal from (...) (18 years ago, 7-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains —Jason J. Railton
   (...) I'd just assumed that most train-heads knew that already. John, you need to open up and talk to the six-wide builders more... ;-) But what does happen if you connect a 9V battery box to a train motor is that you get not so much a (...) (18 years ago, 7-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Battery drive / new trains —Jonathan Reynolds
     (...) Ah...another reference to my enthusiastic pioneering approach by Jason. The loco in question is a replica of a real loco called a Motor Luggage Van made as a single unit for the Southern Region (ex British Rail). As the name suggests, it was a (...) (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Battery drive / new trains —Ross Crawford
     (...) Similar to our trams, which all carry emergency battery power for if it stops at an isolated section. (...) It seems (URL) the wheels are plastic>, so maybe not total havoc. ROSCO (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

         Re: Battery drive / new trains —Jonathan Reynolds
     (...) Yep, a totally new train motor too. So now I need even more convincing that Lego will continue with the traditional 9v track-powered range. Jon (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

        Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains —John Neal
   (...) Eeoow. That's akin to kissing one's sister:-p (...) Well, I was imagining a sort of regulator as a part of the battery pack that a remote control could simply activate. A long time ago my son Ross rigged up an old 12 volt motor that ran off of (...) (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)