 Trains / 26078
Re: Gottwald AMK 1000t mobile crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:01:33 GMT

In lugnet.town, Jacub Maur wrote:
Here is a mini fig scale Gottwald AMK 1000t mobile crane.  There was only one of
these ever built.  This Lego crane uses 2 micro motors, one running the main
hook, and the second running the hold back line for the jib.  The counter weight
is made up of 2 9v battery boxes and two of the Lego weight bricks.  On either
side of that, there are two red containers full of BB pellets. The boom at full
extension, with the jib, is 4.5 feet or 137 cm long.  So far, it can lift a fair
bit. The out riggers are very rigged so it is very stable.  The main hook uses 4
independently spinning pulley’s that helps the hook move smoother.

You can see the trucks needed to carry all the parts for set up at
www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=151088.
There was a small crawler crane needed for assembly and this one worked well.
The truck that brings in the main boom works the same as the real one. The
service truck and trailer are needed for transporting the out riggers and also
used for further assembly and carrying the main hook.  The heavy load transport
was a copy of one seen at an oil refinery bringing in massive tanks. The tank
was taken from the Lego fuel train car.

You can see the set up of the out riggers, main boom and the hook at
www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=151094.

And finally the boom is up and the jib is attached
www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=151098.
I was very surprised to see how well it worked and how far the reach was without
the crane falling over or coming apart.

Hi Jacub, that's a really nice crane! I especially like the support vehicles you
built for it, really makes it complete. Is the jib held on with rubber bands?
Nice simple idea!

Did you drill out the centre of the 1/2 bushes so they rotate independently?
That must have been a tedious job!

One little gripe I have is the size of your photos - I don't like scrolling
around to see details in huge pics. I recommend you use a program like Irfanview
http://irfanview.com/ or similar to reduce the size to 800x600.

Regards

ROSCO