 Trains / 26039
26038  |  26040
Subject:
Palisade Villa GBC (the start of one, anyways...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:03:44 GMT

So I was trying to incorporate my first favourite thing to do with LEGO
bricks--working with RCX's and building robots--and my second favourite thing to
do with my LEGO collection--building and operating a train layout.

I've been trying for a while to come up with something that doesn't take up my
whole basement but would interest me enough--I wanted at least 3 separate loops
to have 3 different trains running at the same time.

After Steve H came up with the phenominal idea of the GBC, I wanted to
incorporate something similar into my train layout--but instead of 'Great Ball
Contraption', I wanted something that would fit into an actual train layout.

I came up with the idea of 'mining' and the accoutrements thereof--mine tunnels,
'coal cars', buildings for doing things... etc.

So with much further ado, I added an RCX, a few buildings, and absolutely no
landscaping as of yet...

http://sparky.i989.net/ltrain/palisade_villa_001.mpg

It's a 60ish meg movie--if you could right-click and 'save as' to your personal
system and watch it from there, it'd be appreciated.

Beyond that, a few things--this is just the 'top loop' working--the bottom loops
are still LDCC'd and not programed yet.  What you watch in the video, however,
is the top loop completely NQC'd.  Now that the top part is functioning
basically smoothly, I'll start working on the bottom bit.

The whole center area inside the loop is where a future mountain's going to be
(when I actually start the landscaping).  The wye going to the big red storage
area will be the start of a 'mine tunnel' so that entire bit will be enclosed
inside Mt Legoto.

I'm missing a little building between the upper building and the lower
building--where the chute takes a wild tangent--that'll be a future little
building built into the landscaping.

Oh, those two buildings were inspired by something I saw a long time ago made,
if I recall, Steve B--thanks for all the inspiration, Steve!

Beyond that, it's a start.  The programming took a few nights to debug to the
point where it's at now--the bottom loop'll hopefully be easier to program.

Future plans, again also sugggested by Steve H but was planned anyway) is that
these 'rocks' that are mined and run thru all the buildings and such, will be
taken to 'further processing' buildings, like a 'brick making' building and such
elsewhere on the layout.

Finally, I do plan on spray painting the soccer balls a grey or black colour so
they'll fit right in to the whole mining thing.

I have a few pics from before -- see 'em here--

http://sparky.i989.net/blog/00000281.php

Let me know what you think.