 Trains / 25894
Re: new switch designs...... help needed!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:46:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   Hey all,

While at the NMRA show this past July I was talking with a few people about the custom switches I make and I was given a challenge. In short the challenge was to make these:

The double-Y will be difficult to do with both switches at the same position. You’d have to have some way to ensure both aren’t set to reverse (curved) at the same time, and a reliable way to direct the train when both are normal (straight). Probably better to offset them by a few studs, as most (all?) such points are normally done.

ROSCO

you make a good point. i should be able to use a 4 or 8 stud offset with little or no huge problems. either way i think it’s going to be fun which is what matters anyway. ondrew

Just thinking out loud here.. maybe consider a 16-stud offset (1 track length), primarily because it would be easier to join your track with, and not need a cut track to mate up with a 4 or 8 stud offset. it would make your double Y 48 studs long, but then again, that would be perfect for a gray baseplate, and would fit easily into any track layout. But then again, as you say--figuring out the best offset is part of the fun of it...

Scott