 Trains / 25761
Re: Parts for building from MOC instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:31:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, patrick flaherty wrote:
   Hi,

My son (5) and myself and fairly new to the Lego world.

We’ve built from bunch of Lego kits, including some relatively complicated e.g. the Santa Fe locomotive. And are looking to expand our horizons.

I’ve discovered the following link:

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/offsite.cfm?linkID=851

It’s got an MPD file; I’m familiar with MLCad (I’m a programmer); and I can (I believe) extract a parts list from this.

The parts list is of course quite long. I’ve bought handfuls of parts in the past from various vendors on www.bricklink.com and my experience is that very few of these independent vendors will have all parts.

So how best to collect (order) all the parts associated with the URL above? Best of all of course would be, for a fee, I send the parts list to some single party and they collect everything in the list and send me in effect a kit (I don’t know if this is available and if it is it’s doubtless not cheap).

Or are there any good tricks (comprehensive lego parts vendor search engines or software or some other kind) that will allow me to put together (in some optimized fashion so that I’m not contacting 50 differnet vendors) all the parts that I need to build the locomotive above?

Help appreciated.

pat

Pat,

Have you tried LEGO factory? http://www.lego.com/eng/factory/default.asp It has a limeted pallette of parts/colors, and the editor is a bit primative. But it’s suppossed to be upgrading to an actua partl ordering sytem at the end of the month. With a train specific upgrade later. Of course this will requier you or another to re-enter these mocs in the new editor to be useful.

Mat