 Trains / 25596
  kadee coupler questioner

Hey all, Over the past 3 weeks or so I have been talking with Kadee quality products about the possibilities of making fully functional Magne-Matic couplers for Lego trains. They have kindly asked me to gather some data from you concerning this (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.town) !

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) (URL) I guess there really isn't anything new under the sun....> I wonder if the guys at Kadee are having deja-vu all over again. I pitched this idea to them about 4 years ago, and even went so far as sending them LEGO motors, trucks, (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) Amen. When LEGO decides to "invest" again in 9volt and maybe make new tracks, etc., I'll start regaining some interest. Until then, I'm persuing other themes of interest with more passion that trains. SPACE! (19 years ago, 28-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) *****! (Where is a moderator when you need one?) (...) JOHN (19 years ago, 28-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) I normally use the standard magnet holders clipped into the buffer bars from the top. Occasionally, I use a 2x3 plate with a hole. (...) Id probably get a few sets but that's about it. Most of my trains run as a set but I admit they would be (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) I feel similarly to these sentiments. I have 8mm scale trains that work OK with the 9V system and have worked OK with the 12V system, which had better functionality. I'm taking a break from exhibiting the 9V layouts in order to pursue new (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) YEEEHAAAA!!!!! (...) A 2x3 round end plate stuck to the end of the truck. (...) I shorely do! Automatic switching anyone? Yipee!!! Plus, it'll just plum look cool. Not Lego, granted, but they're not gonna make knuckle couplers anytime soon. (...) (19 years ago, 29-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) LEGO buffer beam or the 2*3 plate usually (...) YES! Finally shunting as real as it gets! ;) Also an idea : make a decoupler unit that would easily attach to LEGO track! (...) I'd say original style at first, perhaps later Technic hole (hole (...) (19 years ago, 31-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) On the buffers or using a 2x3 with hole plate. Which ever fits the situation at hand. (...) Yes and no. In the short term I have no desire to replace all the coupling on all my cars because that would be a sizable expense. In the long term, (...) (19 years ago, 31-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) OnDrew, Did this mod take much work, or did you just stick a technic axle through a hole that was already present? If there is already a hole there, do we really need custom made couplers? Oh yeah, how much are regular Kadee couplers? Chris (19 years ago, 31-Jul-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) 95% are standard Lego train 9V buffer beams (or the new snowplough buffers on some locomotives). Some models (mostly my space trains) use 2x3 plate-with-hole pieces to hold the magnet clip. In one case I used space magnet clips, but that was (...) (19 years ago, 1-Aug-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) Kadee means automatic decoupling with either static magnets or electromagnets (static magnets work because you have to stop the train with the coupler over the magnet for it to function). Presumably these would include delayed uncoupling which (...) (19 years ago, 1-Aug-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) My guess is that we'll get detail, they would probably just use the O-scale knuckle parts. Other detail will include the "brake hose" which is the pin that is moved by the uncoupling magnet. Frank (19 years ago, 1-Aug-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: kadee coupler questioner

(...) The idea of Kadee couplers for Lego trains is a fantastic idea. This the only short coming of Lego trains. You can't shunt them. I've ben trying unsuccessfully to design a alternate coupler from Lego parts but no luck. I would equip every (...) (19 years ago, 5-Aug-05, to lugnet.trains)