 Trains / 25381
25380  |  25382
Subject:
Dallas DART light rail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:45:50 GMT

Here is a first-go at the Dallas DART light rail commuter train.

The goal for this set was to implement a half-plate thick black line across the side of the train to better match the livery of the DART.

While I think I do have the half-plate black line, I didn’t achieve completely flat sides. Just below the half-plate black line are SNOTted 1x8 and 1x4 yellow tiles-- they stick out by one-tenth of a stud.

There is no roof for minifigures to sit in chairs inside due to the SNOT brackets on the interior floor.

The roof is placed studs-down.

The stud sticking out to the side of the car near the vestibule is a consequence of inverting the new yellow 1x1 slope just above the coupler.

Thanks for checking it out. I don’t have any break-outs of the construction. It’s just a mix-mash in MLCad right now.

I had thought of using a bunch of 1x2 hinge bricks. Steve Barile and Jason Railton, and I tossed about some thin-striping concepts a while back.

I guess I had forgotten that I found some time ago nearly the same thin-stripe solution as I re-discovered for the DART build, and this one may work with minifigs in chairs. Now I think I need to revisit DART to see if I can make this work better. The trick is the inset 2-wide and 4-wide doors, I think. The prototype wagon didn’t have any dicernable doors.

later,

James Mathis