 Trains / 25374
25373  |  25375
Subject:
San Diego Coaster (Custom Livery)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 22:57:13 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Just wanted to share some photos of my recent build:

My Brickshelf Gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=131461

Firstly, all credit for the design goes to James Mathis who posted the LDraw build on his Brickshelf pages some time ago. Interestingly, James tells me that he has never brick-built this set before so was pleased to hear that I had done so. In fact, this may be only the second brick-built version to date - Robert Powell being the first.

James’ original design is based on the San Diego Coaster - specifically an EMD F59PHI with Bombardier BiLevel coaches. My colour variant is based on the Coaster design but I chose grey/white/green as my custom livery mainly due to parts availability and the fact that I thought my early LDraw renders were looking rather cool :-)

The real Coaster is typically powered by one loco but I felt a five-coach brick-built version would benefit from a second power unit. This revealed an interesting problem which was a slight weakness in the original design of the nose/coupler section. This has now been reworked internally to prevent the lead engine pulling the nose section off the second unit! James has encouraged me to share these changes and so I’ll be putting the reworked coupler component up in my Brickshelf gallery soon.

A personal thanks to James who provided very positive feedback on my first photos to him - and also for the great work he does for the LEGO train community.

Martin