 Trains / 24926
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 23:22:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:

   I think what Matthew was asking was, is it possible to buy multiple sets and chain them together, or aren’t there enough parts to make more mid-cars and mid-bogies?

It seems to me that 2 sets would allow one to build one 3 well car and 1 single well car, and that 3 sets would allow you to build one 5 well car and 1 single well car (in both cases with parts left over).

Wheels wise, sure. But unless we know how the pivots are designed, maybe not.

(for example if I had kitted out my articulated design and made it a 2 unit car, you wouldn’t have enough parts with 3 copies to make a 5 unit car as you’d only have gotten 3 center pivot parts sets, the center pivot brackets are different technic parts than the end pivot brackets...)

Well, lessee. Each set comes with 1 pivot truck and 2 end trucks. With 2 sets, we get 2 pivots and 4 end trucks. A 3 well requires 2 pivots and 2 end trucks, and the single requires 2 end trucks. That seems to work for me. The ends require more bricks than the shorter, articulated ends, so bricks should be left over.

Once more, slowly. I was talking about a 5 unit car. I agree that a 3 unit should work from 2 copies.

But a 5 unit MAY or MAY NOT be buildable from 3 copies. It requires 4 center bogies, and 4 pairs of pivot connections. In 3 copies, you get 3 center bogies and 3 pairs of pivot connections.

If the center bogies can’t be made from end bogies (not likely, but possible, you have to admit) or the pivot connections can’t be made from end connections (again, not likely, but possible... remember I cited MY OWN design, admittedly not a good design, it’s dated, but it is one for which this is TRUE, the end pivot connections and center pivot connections are made from parts that are NOT INTERCHANGABLE or SUBSTITUTABLE) you can’t make a 5 unit car from 3 copies.

Sorry for any confusion on your end. Please let me know if you don’t get it yet...