 Trains / 24886
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 14:29:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Christian Treczoks wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   I’ll be buying a few just for the TTX stickers though, there are a LOT of TTX car types out there...
Call me ignorant, but what the heck is this “TTX”, anyway? A kind of track gauge?

Wondering,

Christian Treczoks

“TTX Company provides railcars and related freight car management services to the North American rail industry.” From http://www.ttx.com

Yes, they were formerly know as “Trailer Train” (switching to TTX in 1991). The “X” is commonly used in the rail industry to indicate the word “transportation”.

That’s one interpretation. I’m not sure I agree, though.

Another one is that it means NON transportation companies, that is, lessors and shippers.

X is often appended to reporting marks(1) for equipment owned by NON transportation companies to show that they are not operators. For example, GATX (General American Tank Car Corporation was the original name, I think) or UTLX (Union Tank car Leasing) marks end in X. Most Trailer Train(2) early stock used TTX reporting marks, although they ran out of numbers(3) and decided to use 4 letter marks

GATX also took the name of their reporting marks.

1 - the code, up to 4 letters, placed on a piece of rolling stock to designate who owns it or who has maintenance responsibility for it. Usually the railway initials for roads, such as ATSF, UP, CNW, etc, and usually the corporate identity initials for non roads. See this list of marks and note the pattern, it’s quite clear if you look for it. X is almost always the last letter of (older) non railroad company marks.... since they ran out, sometimes they now use Z or U as the last letter.

2 - Trailer Train was founded as a consortium of operating companies specifically to own piggyback cars and later expanded into other sorts of rolling stock.

3 - at one time there was a 4 digit limit on cars that could carry the same mark, I believe. Or maybe that was just a limit in certain railway IT systems. UP just started using a second reporting mark.