 Trains / 24859
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 18:37:52 GMT

<snip>
in the comments on your blog, I made the argument that the better profit
margin
of an AFOL-oriented S@H exclusive justifies the expense of the container
doors.
You responded:

{You've made a number of assumption here that aren't necessarily true:}

{- Better profit margin overall}

{- The parts we used are "leftovers"}

{- S@H exclusives are proven to be successful}

{- S@H exclusives are AFOL-targeted}

Marc, I think maybe you need to understand the sheer expense involved in
setting up a production line specifically for parts not currently in stock.
I know of one example where some basic bricks and plates were needed in a
slightly unusual (but available) LEGO color by one of the departments inside
LEGO.
In order to stop 1 molding machine, change the color, place the correct
molds (and these are existing regular molds, not new ones) etc, a premium
that ran into 6 figures had to be paid - and that's before the cost of the
bricks. (FYI the premium ended up being 60% of the total cost)
In a set that has a production run of 100,000's or even millions, that cost
is more easily absorbed. But for a S@H exclusive, of around 10,000 units,
it's just unrealistic to do so. I know I would rather have the containers as
they are rather than pay a premium of $10 per set.

Now, by "leftovers", I meant part/color combinations already in
production -
which is apparantly true. Which of my other assumptions are untrue?

* Are S@H exclusives actually less profitable?

I would argue from a total revenue generation, they probably are.
Individually they probably still make the same % markup on S&H exclusives
(possibly more as they're being sold directly to consumers), but they are
produced in volumes 100's or 1000's of fold less than most retail sets.
S@H's ability to spend extra money on these sets is less than it would be in
a retail set.

Richard.