 Trains / 24759
Re: Cool new scene spotted on BS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:52:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:

   I’d like to see more urban scenes with railway running over occupied arches. Lego lends itself best to this kind of scenery.

Jon

There’s this one. Its not occupied arches and the syle of elevated railway means thats its definatly American (or Parisian) but still good.

This was my set up in, I think, 1997 or 1998. Based on one of the elevated lines of the NYC subway system in the Bronx. I am not aware of any occupied arches with the NYC subway system, though I am not familiar with all the elevated portions. (I am familiar with El’s in every borough except Brooklyn, which I am *somewhat* familiar with). The Queensboro bridge (car & truck traffic, no trains) has a supermarket built into it on the Manhattan side of the bridge. It is pretty impressive. Think BIG!

I am currently working on a layout that will have an elevated subway line with the surrounding neighborhood loosely based on the burnt out ruins of the South Bronx in the 1970’s and 80’s. Pretty tough to do with bright shiny plastic bricks.

Hopefully some pictures to come by early summer.

I haven’t posted many pictures (or posts to LUGNET) lately, but I am building and enjoying the pictures that come up all the time.

Best, Jonathan