 Trains / 24589
24588  |  24590
Subject:
Now THERE’S something you don’t see every day...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:07:31 GMT

On my way into work on Friday, I turned down the street near what used to be
Omaha’s Union Station (it’s now a cool museum) on the way toward the active rail
bridges that I like to drive under.  I almost stopped the car doing a
double-take, though, because in a dirt lot that sometimes holds a lone tractor
trailer rig, there was the BIGGEST steam engine I’d ever seen…right there!!  In
the dirt, off the tracks!!
The morning paper had a picture of this locomotive, Big Boy 4023, on the front
page, and an article describing plans to move the engine (along with a giant
diesel loco to be moved in later) to the local botanical garden’s new park in
honor of Union Pacific’s former president Kenefick.
I was fortunate enough to see them move this behemoth down 10th street today –
what a sight!!!  Even though the drive controller was pretty sophisticated, I
was surprised at the low-tech support…this huge locomotive basically sat on
I-beams c-clamped to multiple drive units, steered by winching a cable in front
one way or the other.  It was pretty cool to see this moving down the street;
you could easily walk beside it to keep up, and a crowd which had gathered to
watch did just that.
I’ve never seen something like this before, and feel lucky to have spent part
of my afternoon watching this.  I took as many pictures as I could, and posted
them to Maj.com.  Hope you enjoy!

Friday Omaha World-Herald article:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=1636&u_sid=1357595

Saturday Omaha World-Herald article with slide show:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1358791

My pics on Maj (big pic warning):
http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=86674

Peace and Long Life,
Tw0nst3r

P.S.  That's my sweetie in the first picture, wearing the Nebraska
jacket...isn't the back of her head cute?