 Trains / 24014
24013  |  24015
Subject:
New Year's Eve Fundraiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.announce, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:11:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

On New Year’s Eve I was asked if I’d like to help David Jolley with a display in Irthlingborough (UK) to raise money for charity. I was visiting my parents nearby at the time, so took along as many of my models as I could fit in the car.

David had a huge castle at the centre of the exhibition - my pictures hardly do it justice as it is also highly detailed inside, and all around the grounds. He also has an amazing complete collection of the original space themes, amongst others.

For my part, I had one section of the upcoming NBLTC Great Western train display, and improvised a larger layout from my spare buildings. I put in a smaller layout for the children to drive, and a hastily improvised donation box for the parents >:-)

The ‘Rugrat Railway’ had both a crossover and a passing loop for offering a choice of trains. The plan isn’t perfect, but I don’t think anyone noticed and it was fairly popular. The controller had a reduced and rectified output, and could be overridden from a second controller. Although the kids rarely made use of the mid-range speeds, very few derailments resulted.

Anyway, David had also set up a play area and friends and family ran a tea room in another part of the hall. My brother can also be seen helping out with the trains.

Given the events of Boxing Day, the money raised all went to the tsunami relief operaton. I’ve just been told the total came to 700 pounds.

Although my proudest moment was when some parents were saying ‘Look, it’s Thomas’, and the kid looked at them and said, ‘No, that’s Thomas’. I could have adopted him on the spot... :-)

So, my thanks and congratulations to David for organising it all, and all those who helped out.

New
Year’s Eve Castle show
Click for gallery

Jason Railton