 Trains / 23972
23971  |  23973
Subject:
British Rail EM2 / NS 1500 class electric engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:51:59 GMT

For quite a while now I had the intention to build a model of the former British Rail EM2 class engine (built specifically for the Woodhead route with it’s 1500V DC system), later bought by the Dutch Railways during the engine shortage late 1960’s and renumbered into the NS 1500 class, which was finally taken out of service in 1986. 3 units remain, one in the Netherlands with the Werkgroup 1501, one in the Science museam in Manchester and one is maintained by the EM-2 Society.

For the Rail2004 show, held in november in the Netherlands I finally finished the brick model and afterwards put it all into MLCAD so I could present it. So without further delay :

The EM2 in it’s last livery, before it was taken out of service in 1968. Unfortunately the medium blue isn’t available in the parts needed to build this model. Specially for the window it would have improved the look.

The unit after the renovation by NS workshop Tilburg, without transfers. The brick model uses a red 1*2 tile with the LEGO logo, where in real life the engine carries it’s name on this plate.

For more information on the UK period check out http://www.thewoodheadsite.org.uk/

Right now the NS 1501 engine is owned by Werkgroup 1501/Stichting Klassieke Lokomotieven, they can be found at http://www.werkgroep1501.nl/

After the German ISCC4 competition I will put up LDRAW files and building instructions on my Brick Piles website (probably only for the dutch version but the modifications for the BR version are straight-forward.

Jan-Albert van Ree

Brick Piles http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/