 Trains / 23853
    Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy... —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) You'll need more than a program, you'll need to make sensors of some sort, as sensors that detect magnets are not on offer from LEGO. Chris Phillips made some (reedswitch based, I think) sensors, and documented what he did. it requires some (...) (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy... —Stefan Garcia
     (...) I know Lego doesn't make those sensors. The first post in that thread though is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! I'm not too crazy about modding Lego so I'll go with the pure version. (...) Right, I'd think you'd need a lead time of (...) (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy... —Ross Crawford
      (...) In fact for realistic operation (if you really want that!) you'd need 4 sensors, because the "exit" sensor is much closer to the crossing than the "entry" sensor in real life. But who wants realistic? This is LEGO! ROSCO (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy... —Christopher Masi
     (...) Yeah, I am not too crazy about modding LEGO either, but there are some mods that are fine by me. Chris's read switches are just such a mod. His crossing gates are awesome, and the read switches that control them work very well. I just I (...) (20 years ago, 28-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Grade Crossing Signal Thingy... —Rob Antonishen
   (...) Check the previous posts on (URL) the motorized cows. These use optical sensors to trigger cow head moooovement...I'm sure they could activate a level crossing using the same RCX optical detection scheme. -Rob A. (20 years ago, 17-Dec-04, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)