 Trains / 23709
23708  |  23710
Subject:
Internals of a monorail point
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:37:50 GMT

I recently bought a very cheap monorail point from Bricklink as it was broken,
so I had nothing to lose by opening it up.

Looking at the bottom
(http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/whoward69/Monorail/parts/2881r_bottom.jpg) it
would appear that all it takes is to release the 5 clips and the base will come
off.  Not true, as the base part has also been glued to the top part.

To stop the clips breaking under stress I actually cut the lip on them off to
start with.  This provides enough "give" to enable a long bladed knife to be
inserted to cut/split the glued pillars - marked with red
(http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/whoward69/Monorail/parts/2881r_glue.jpg).  If
you attempt this, release the straight branch first, then the curved branch,
then the 4 areas at the top of the picture and finally the mass of red at the
bottom.  You will probably find it easier to remove the internal mechanism as it
becomes accesible as this gives more space to work.

This is the internal arrangement when set to straight
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/whoward69/Monorail/parts/right_at_straight.jpg
and to curved
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/whoward69/Monorail/parts/right_at_curved.jpg

More pictures of the individual parts are here

As the problem was being caused by the lever in the curved branch I omitted this
on reassembly - the point sit at the entrance to a siding so a train should
never attempt to run through when set the wrong way.

Re-assembly is quite straight forward, but I ended up using liquid glue around
most of the baseplate so I suspect the point will never come apart again!

(A few more keywords to help searching - monorail point switch internal repair
repairing mend mending opening)