 Trains / 23532
Re: Electrical pick-up for 9v track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:11:22 GMT

Snippage

This looks a great idea and much simpler than making new metal flanges (as in
the 9v motor) I don't actually run my stuff very much/far to I think it would be
hardwearing enough for my purposes although I would imagine the 'round the
flange' strip would be the weak link.
Can you blacken the strip? I have some copper blackening stuff but I don't know
about tin.

The next challenge it to make one wheelset with pick-ups on both wheels (using a
split axle or some other insulation method)!

Also any ideas on making BBB wheels electrically active? My thoughts are along
the idea of adding a turned tread/flange (similar to the ones the German AFOLs
use) to the blind version and running tape along a couple of the spokes to the
centre. However then I get stuck, possibly a metal technic axle? The problem is
that you really need to be able to leave space between the frames to allow a
gear for the drive train.

I look foward to seeing how you get on

Tim

I've worked with the stained glass tape in the manufacture of stained glass
before and you can blacken the finish with a patina.  try this link:
http://www.stainedglassstudio.com/chemicals.html

and the foil can be seen here:
http://www.stainedglassstudio.com/foil.html

Mike