 Trains / 23527
23526  |  23528
Subject:
Electrical pick-up for 9v track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:48:10 GMT

I recently purchased a couple of cars form my Santa Fe engine. And I decided to
install lights in the end car. To power the lights I ran a wire from the egine.
But I eventually plan build a train consisting of at least 3 engines and 6 cars.
And I don't want to run wires the whole length. So I decided to make an
electrical pick-up for 9v track useing the standard wheelsets.
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Lgaugewheels/lgaugewhpkup2.jpg>>

The solution I came up with requiers NO parts modification, or at least not
cutting and glueing. I run narrow strips of stain glass tape around the tyres.
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Lgaugewheels/lgaugewhpkup7.jpg>>
This is a copper tape with a tin plating, so it't easy to solder! I also ran a
narrow strip around the backside of the flange, which makes contact to the axel
using a thin piece of wire.
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Lgaugewheels/lgaugewhpkup8.jpg>>
I make contact to the axel using a small spring, which has a wire solderd to it.
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Lgaugewheels/lgaugewhpkup5.jpg>>
If you replace the standard plates used in the construction of a truck with
technic plates, and leave a hollow area above it, you can run a pair of wires
off the wheel sets and through the pin in the bogie plate.
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/impact1/TRAINS/Lgaugewheels/lgaugewhpkup4.jpg>>

A few more images are avalible on brickshelf:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=100739>

I have a friend of mine that works in a CNC machine shop running me a few wheels
in steel and brass. As I don't consider the tape to be a long term solution.
Once I've tested them out, he's agreed to run me a couple hundred for a
reasonable price. I'm currently favoring steel, as these can be blacked, but
still conduct current well.

Mat Clayson