 Trains / 23486
23485  |  23487
Subject:
GP-38 MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:21:12 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I know that TLC is coming oout with a BNSF version of this. And that Jake has a
version in his train book. But I wanted to do one myself. I had started by
building the one in Jake's book. Then I went online and found several great
sites for prototype images.  I tried to match this as best I can with ATSF
prototype. I've picked up some appropriete decals, but those will wait untill
I'm done tweeking. I'm also considering changing it into a SD-39, so I'll apply
the decals then.
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=922131>>

The engine is 6 wide and 32 studs long. The same as the BNSF prototype.
I don't have any 1x1x2 windows in yellow, so I left them out. I did cheat on a
couple of things, not sure if this counts as a brick mod, I guess a custom. The
train baseplate is light grey. I used yellow tape to change the color. I'll
replace it when/if these become avalible on the BNSF. The same for one of the
curved bricks on the left side, I have another yellow on order. There is also
some blue tape on the nose hood.

The other cheat I used is for the railings. I have no yellow flex tube, and
don't plan to buy any. I used 1/8" styrene rod that has been painted yellow.
It's cheap enough to cut to any size I wish.

More images, and some prototype shots avalible soon at:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=99347>

Mat