 Trains / 23154
23153  |  23155
Subject:
A Call for Clues (Mindstorms RCX and Train Layout Automation)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:08:16 GMT

  Hello friends,

  I've been searching high and low for some web pages and pointers that describe
some of the automation that LTCs are putting on their display layouts. (I
remember seeing a few discussions here in LUGNET/Trains, but
these were light descriptions, without technical detail, and usually without
pictures.) I'd like to remedy this dearth, but I'll need your help.

  I'll summarize all of the info I get to the list, and I'll put together
a web page with more details. If you have URLs, please send them to me in email.
If you haven't put up a web page about it, please write up a note with some
details, or encourage another member in your club to write it up and send me
email.

  Please contact me if you can share;

   - descriptions of how your group used an RCX for automation
   - how have you motorized-or-lit crossings, switches, signals?
   - some of your RCX programs (no matter if its LEGO LOGO, NQC, etc.)
   - how you use a palmtop/laptop PC for displays?
      = as a source for playing "drive-in" movies
      = for programming your RCX (how do you do it?)
      = do you use an external display? (what brand/model?)
   - what RCX hacks/tricks have you found useful?
   - how do you power your RCX?

  The VLC folks had an amazing application, described to me (but not something
they could demonstrate during my visit), for using an RCX to control moving and
"hiding" a Hogwarts train at random intervals, using a couple of motors to
change the track switches. I remember someone using an RCX (and *entire* RCX) to
automate one pair of crossing gates. And a young member of BayLTC has worked out
a way to use one input and one output to help pace multiple trains on a single
loop (simple block control by interrupting power). But I *KNOW* there must be
other ideas out there...so, what are you willing to share? :-)

  The best way to reach me is at two addresses (one is work, the other is fun),
to ensure that I can reply to you quickly. The address is "zonker" at both
bigbandnet.com and baylug.org.

  Thanks in advance for your help in this project. :-)

       -Z-