 Trains / 22844
22843  |  22845
Subject:
Resource books for locomotive modellers at train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.books
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:19:49 GMT

I bought a couple of books today at a model rail show in Derby, UK.
Model Railroader Cyclopedia Volume 1 - Steam Locomotives ($49.95) and
Model Railroader Cyclopedia Volume 2 - Diesel Locomotives ($37.95).

These books contain scale drawings of their respective US locomotive types.  The
steam locos book has 127 drawings, of everything from 0-4-0 to Big Boy.
Drawings in both books are in HO scale but with dimensions marked in feet so
that it's easy to convert to Lego scales, if you choose to build to scale.  I
think a few new diesel types such as SD75 and SD90 have arrived since the
diesels book was written, so I'll see if another volume comes out in the future.
It still has plenty of loco types for me to build and seeing that I had no books
of US trains, I'm now well equipped with drawings.  If you subscribe to Model
Railroader you may have accumulated some of the drawings already.

The books will spend many hours open on my modelling table and are well worth
the money.

At the show I saw quite a few US layouts owned by NMRA members.  Most of them
were either set in the desert or in an industrial area.  Do you have much green
countryside near railways in the US and if so, why do people not model it very
often?

I did see some Shays though - got some good pictures that I can build from.
There was a brass kit of one in 1/4" O scale for £1150 ($1800)!  And I thought
Lego was expensive!

Mark Bellis