 Trains / 22775
Re: Small mountain with train and road tunnels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:04:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Thomas Main wrote:
I made a small mountain that fits on three baseplates arranged corner style for
a quarter circle of train track.  I was running out of gray bricks/BURPS, so I
added a curved roadplate as the corner baseplate, making a tunnel space for that
as well.  The mountain features a waterfall and is my first attempt at a more
organic looking MOC.  Pics are here:

Thomas Main
thomasmain@myrealbox.com

I agree with other posters about the nice things about your mountain, as well as
the not so nice things. Here's the biggie... shape and size

Railroads avoid mountains like the plague as they are expensive to get over
around or through. (for example, the Rogers Pass realignment on CP cost 500M USD
in the mid 80's for about 20 miles of track, but was done to reduce the ruling
grade on their main) They'll do almost anything to avoid tunneling if they can,
When they finally give in and tunnel through them, it's because they are too big
to get around any other way.

It's impossible to simulate that (by building a whole mountain range) in LEGO,
unless you have more bricks than GMLTC does! But you can come closer or farther
away from that look. The farthest would be the small mountains that you see sold
as accessories for tinplate layouts, they look like kidney shaped cake dishes
with holes drilled in the ends... They are not much wider than 2x-3x the track
width! Some mountains that have been posted here in the past have that nature as
well.

Your mountain isn't quite that bad, since it exceeds the track dimension
significantly, but it does sort of have the "railroad went through it on
purpose" look.

I am not going to allege that the mountain I did avoids that look but some of
the things I did to alleviate it have some merit, I think.. for one thing I have
extensions of the hill in front of the portals so it looks like they did a
cutting to avoid tunneling any farther than they had to. Also mine is very
irregularly shaped.... Those things help somewhat, I think.

On streams, I sincerely believe that streams need to be inset into the mountain.
The action of water over time is to cut away. So a stream should be in a cleft
or even the startings of a gorge. The deeper the better. Doing that also makes
the edge detail a bit harder to see and the water a bit more shadowy. Both of
those aid in my view.

On burps, you yourself know that too many burps means regular patterns. Rock is
nothing if not irregular. It takes a lot more bricks to not use burps though. I
had the luxury (or so I thought, I ended up running out of earth tone basic
bricks anyway) of having a lot of bricks so I used burps for less than 5% of my
surface area and they are not very noticable, at least not to mundanes. (we can
spot them easily because we know what to look for)

Hope that helps. I do like your mountain, it's always good to see others take a
crack at it!