 Trains / 22703
22702  |  22704
Subject:
My building experience of Jakes' GP-38
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 18:13:19 GMT

I finished building the GP-38 locomotive in Jake's book "getting started with
Lego trains". The model stands in front of me, and I must say: Wow, that is a
great engine. I will definately give the other two models in the book a try
soon.

The downside was I had to build it with the instructions provided. I do not know
if I have a "final copy" of the book, but given the fact I got it only 2 weeks
ago or so, I fear it is the final version. To aid others in finishing the model,
here is a list of corrections:

Jake McGee's GP-38 locomotive:

Step 4: All parts Qtts should be doubled

Step 8: 1x2 grille bricks, qtty 2 should be 4

Step 10: shows 4 1x1 plates that are not included in the figure, but should be.

Step 11: No parts are added. But a list is given.

Step 12:Parts listed at step 11 are now added, plus the ones from step 12 too,
hard to follow. Also, step 12 needs 2 2x2 corner plates, not 1. Step shows 2 2x4
plates, this should be only 1.

Step 13: Step show 2 2x4 plates added, should be only 1.

Step 14: Correct, but the 1x4 bricks with studs could have been indicated
better, and the 1 x 12 yellow bricks are very rare, better would be to provide
the instructions with common 1x6 bricks

Step 15: needs 2 2x2 corner plates, not 1. Needs only 1 1x1 brick, not 2. needs
2 1x4 plates, not 1.

Step 16: picture of step 14 is shown. Unclear which plates go where at the cab,
due to 2 missing pictures.  Plates shown are definitely not correct/exact. Had
to guess/improvise.

Step 17: Picture of step 15 is shown.

Step 21: needs 8 1x2 grille bricks, not 4.

Step 28: Needs 4 slope 45 degree 2x3, not 2.
Step 28b:Needs 3 1x4 plates, not 1. Does not need the 2 1x1 tiles.

Step 29c: Need 2 minifig heads, not 1. Color of 2x6 plate is wrong. Need only 1
1x6 brick, not two.

I may have missed other errors, but those were the ones I jotted down when
building. It is a shame no body was asked to "proof-build" the model. Clearly,
Jake himself build it, these is a pic in the book of the real thing, but as
time-warpholes have not yet been iscoved, he obviously did not build it with the
instructions that ended up in print. It is quite a shame that this happened. On
the other hand, There is only a handfull people that may have the correct bricks
in their collection to actually build it without swapping a bricks or two. The
only thing I mysefl didn't have were 2 1x12 bricks, and the wedges, but that's
waht bricklink is for. I've ordered enough parts two build 2 of 'em, next show
we'll have pics.

In summary, a superb model, but sloppy proof-reading.

Paul