 Trains / 2201
2200  |  2202
Subject:
An idea to try
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:13:13 GMT

Ben Fleskes idea:
Make up three interweaving figure eight loops.  Think of one figure eight
with a track on either side of the main one.  To do this requires 9 cross
tracks.  Setup a controller to each track.  Build a custom train engine,
then race them like slot cars.  Go too fast, you'll through yourself off • the
track on the curves.  Too slow, and You'll be left in the dust.

I was curious what it would take to actually build such a thing and here is
what I came up with using Track Designer.

Requirements:
60 Straight Track
9 Cross Track
72 Curved Track

Area:
9'2" x 5'1"

Picture of layout:
http://www.nwlink.com/~ccdsl/layout.jpg

Seems to me you could build an engine that would not derail even at top
speed.  Very exciting action in the middle though if all three meet!!!

Scott Smallbeck
scotts@contactics.com