 Trains / 21718
Re: Lessons learned...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:48:39 GMT

First lesson--

the DCC accessory block needs an actual motor attached to the motor output in
order for the RCX LDCC to detect and  program the DCC chip in the accessory
brick.  This I did not know.

Was wondering what was wrong when I had the DCC accessory block attached to the
layout and wanted to change the number, and couldn't figure out why it wasn't
detecting or working.  THen I attached the motor and everything was smooth as
glass.  Eh, live and learn.

Second lesson--

Breaking the connecting peg on the top of a bogey plate makes you sad.  I broke
one the other night when the brand new Metroliner, first time on my layout, not
even completing the entire loop, decides to go flying off the edge and smash on
the floor.  Now I have pretty nice carpet down in my basement, with some
underpadding (so is pretty soft 'n warm on the ol' footsies).. nevertheless, the
fall managed to sheer the connecting peg right off the bogey plate!  Grr!!

So with that in mind, I run the metroliner somewhat slower around the layout.
Which didn't stop last nights little accident, when testing the newest
conversion of a train motor to DCC (and Dave pushing the wrong buttons) took the
metroliner, again, right off the tracks and on to the floor, at which time the
connection peg on top of the 9v DCC converted train motor decided to sheer off!

Yeah, that one hurt a little more!  Grr!!!

So with tears in my eyes, I proceeded to drive off into the sunset... (for all
you American Thanksgiving enjoying folks out there  :) )  I mean, I proceeded to
take a small drill and put a hole in the plastic motor chassis where the
connection peg used to be, and added a 1/2 technic pin.  Almost as good as new.

This weekends project?  Figure out how to program a speed curve in DCC and knock
down the top end a bit for the motor on my metroliner...

Anyway, adventures with Dave shall continue later

Yuk. Yeah I've sheared one of the bogey pins before. Well OK it wasn't actually
mine, but it still made me sad....

Dave K
Obie came in with the 27 8 by 10 colour glossy photos with circles nad arrows
and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was... Judge
came in with a seeing-eye dog...  Obie began to cry because he came to the
realization that it was a typical case of American Blind Justice and the judge
wasnnt gonna look at the 27 8 by 10 colour glossy pictures with the circles and
arrows and the paragraph on the back of each one...

And we was fined 50 dollars and had to pick up the garbage in the snow, but
that's not what I came here to tell ya about...

he looked at me and said, "Kid?  What'd ya get?"
I said "I didn't get nothin'--I had to pay 50 dollars and pick up the garbage in
the snow."

It's the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacree Movement, and all you have to do to
join is sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar...

We're just waitin for it to come around on the guitar here...

ROSCO