 Trains / 2165
2164  |  2166
Subject:
My take on "Remote Control Switch Design"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:57 GMT

Hello All,

I've posted a web page devoted to my motorized switch/point design.  I've
laden it heavily with photos and closeups, but I'm not holding anybody's hand
at this point - mostly theory instead of how-to.  Hopefully, you'll get some
insights and ideas.  I tried to put contrasting colors inside the switch
control housing so you can differentiate between LEGO(R) brick pieces in my
design.  Beware of large (up to 100K images) on this page.  Only the important
ones are that large for details.

I've used this design for about 6 months, and I control it with an RCX as part
of an automated loop design.  The RCX sends the train onto a siding to pick up
freight after a certain number of times past a light sensor.  Future plans are
for a remote uncoupler to make this automated loop complete.  You certainly
don't need an RCX to control this switch - I've used a 9v battery box and an
auxillary speed controller also.  You can throw full power at the switch
without torquing the thing to the moon.  Some other neat features are a
windowed view into the switch control housing for minifigs to verify switch
location remotely.  There's color coded marker lights and a door for
preventative maintenance and general hiding from the minifig trainyard boss.

Please refer to:
    http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8658/lego/legoindex.htm

...and comments are welcome.

;^)