 Trains / 21592
21591  |  21593
Subject:
General Motors Locomotive EMD SD70ACe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 06:26:11 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Inspired by this loco--

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?locomotive=EMD%20SD70ACe

I made this:

Have a look at the rest of the pics and, if so inclined, let me know what you think!

http://sparky.i989.net/ltrain.htm

Few things--I start the project with the trucks, just to see if I could get a 3 wheel truck functioning and looking reasonably decent. That took a bit, especially throwing in the ‘will it work on corners’ issue.

After that, proceed on, thinking that I have lots of 1x2 white corrogated bricks for the grates and vents, ‘cause I have so many 1x2 corrogated in every other conceivable colour. So when time came for me to work out my first vent, I look for white...

White? Hello white? Where are you?

Turns out I had all of four white 1x2 corrogated bricks.

Eh, so I faked all the vents using grill plates.

As well, I don’t have any 1x6 train ‘fence rails’ in white for the front and back of the loco--so I used my black ones.

Oh, and the trucks on the real engine are blue, but I don’t have blue train wheels :)

This was a fun project that took Friday night and most of Saturday. There are many areas for improvement, and I’ll probably keep updating the loco as time and inspiration permits. I’ll also make the identical loco in the red/black colour combinarion that haunts the rest of my locos. But that’ll be at some future point :)

Dave K