 Trains / 2153
Re: Commuter train (WIP)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:21:12 GMT

Thanks for the encouragement. The idea is to have 3 trucks (Larry was right)
with the power truck in the middle. Since the center is short the power truck
will be fixed (not swivel) which makes it easier to hide. As for the end
trucks I will try some of James's techniques and use plates on their side.

As for the doors, I used gray plates on the top and bottom, the same idea as
the box cars fake sliders. I also continued the "seam" between the door
windows down to the bottom of the door. I have been thinking about using the
actual brick seams for detail for a long time, but this is my first
intentional attempt. In fact I used 2-1x2's stacked under each window. I plan
to change this to 1x2x2 thin walls for a more realistic "seaming"

I also should give credit to Ben Fleskes (NOT shown at
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/1857/benspage.htm) for the idea,
he has built a MAX train before.

James I hope you don't mind me stealing some of your ideas! (Thanks for the
trade it was truly inspirational!)

http://home.att.net/~steve.bar/LEGO/TriMetMAX/TriMetMAX.htm

SteveB

Cool beginnings...

When you can solve the articulation problems you will have enabled a
number of other designs to be created. Build on!

I'm assuming (it's hard to tell from the proto pic) that this is a three
truck design? One each at the ends and one in the center?

Strangely enough, since you would want the end trucks to pivot somewhat
underneath the car frame, this design would be *easier* to build in 8
wide, as you could have skirts the same way the proto does and still
allow some swivel. But 8 Wide is sick and wrong.

You also could do what James does and put white facing on the truck
outsides to simulate skirting.

(hmm... if you have the center truck be the power truck maybe you could
use the tiny train wheels for the end trucks, which makes skirting a bit
easier to achieve.)

lugnet.