 Trains / 20666
Re: Grip tyres for 12V trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:12:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:

Last year during a German Muelheim event, somebody from France showed how he
made grip tires by cutting bicycle tires. The racing bike tires are very
small and fit perfect. I'm sure a bike repair shop would be happy to give
you some used inner tires.

Jan-Albert (*), when you say "inner tyre" do you mean the tube? (bike tyres have
a tube, that is a rubber doughnut with a valve, containing compressed air).
I ask it because racing bikes mostly use tubular (tubeless) tyres, which are a
kind of stronger tube that also works as tyre.

BTW, when I was a teen I had a racing bike with standard tyres (with tube)
because I liked to brake letting the back wheel skid on the asphalt. The year I
had that bike as a gift, the streets asphalt was re-laid, so, being new, it was
very abrasive....I often came back home with an exploded tyre... :-O
My parents, who knew me, choosed for this reason the cheaper tube tyres instead
of the more expensive tubular ones.

Another solution would be shrinking tube as used in electronics. Comes in
various sizes and colours and can be obtained from almost any electronics
parts stores.

Also a fine idea...

bye,
G.

(*) if I remember correctly, you're nicknamed "Jab", aren't you?