 Trains / 19702
19701  |  19703
Subject:
SD40-2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 15:59:40 GMT

I've rebuilt my SD40-2 from the ground up.

It can be seen at http://www3.telus.net/chuck

Navigate to LEGO creations, then Locomotives.

I had found it weak in a couple of places so that sparked the redesign.

The base was pieced together from various plates and was prone to splitting
apart while being moved. The new version is constructed from 2 6 X 24 train
baseplates with 2 X N and 1 X N plates tying it together. The fuel tank further
reinforces the point where the baseplates meet. Christopher Masi's design for
the steerable trucks worked well but had trouble staying in one piece while
under my somewhat clumsy care so they too, were redesigned.

I think it has worked out well but any comments are welome.