 Trains / 19443
Re: MOC MAGLEV Prototype at BW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 04:10:44 GMT

Hi Tim,

Thanks Tim. Yes, the 2x2 cylinders would probably help with corners, and
would generally look cooler anyway. Also Yes dave, we could use some more
magnets  how many can you spare! I guess that's why real ones use
electromagnets!

With curves, the challenge is to space the magnets so they won't "suck" the
car down on the curve, and still end up with a whole number of magnets so
the straight track is evenly spaced again. We have not experimented with
offset track magnets yet, but will now.

mark

In lugnet.trains, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Mark Benz writes:
Hi,

In case you missed it at the diner, or didn't make it to BW '03, (or a
BayLTC pizza meeting) Ross showed the prototype Maglev vehicle and short
"track" that he and I built. Eric Sophie was kind enough to snap and post a
pic of it. Its at:

Note the irregular spacing of the SNOT magnets on the vehicle. This was
definitely the hardest part to get it to work. We started with a
"3-rail" system in a "U" shape and a vehicle without a "spine" but couldn't
get it to work at all. Now all it needs is propulsion!

Mark & Ross Benz
BayLUG/BayLTC

Mark -
This is cool! Matt Gerber and I have talked about doing a maglev LEGO train
in one of our many conversations about cool MOCs we'd like to make. You beat
us to the punch! Glad you got it to work.

When I was younger, I tried making a maglev out of magnets obtained at
American Science & Surplus (http://www.sciplus.com/) and affixing the
magnets to wooden blocks (science project), but that didn't work. I think it
was due to the varying strengths of the magnets, allthough they were all cut
the same.

A LEGO maglev is way cooler, though :-) I'd love to see it on a longer
track, and propelled somehow. Is there any way you can think of getting it
to negotiate curves? They would have to be really gradual, or even split up
into polygons. Could you change the center stabilizer to 2x2 rounds so it
could go around slight bends?

-Tim