 Trains / 17690
  Re: 4535 - MOT Set at ToysRUs.com

(...) How typical is this? The freight trains that leave the industrial siding that I work near always (that I've noticed) have a caboose on the end. thanks, James (22 years ago, 17-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 4535 - MOT Set at ToysRUs.com

(...) Consider yourself VERY lucky then. Outside of rail museums, I've never seen an operational caboose on the end of a train. They've been replaced by EoTDs or FREDS. -Stefan- (22 years ago, 17-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 4535 - MOT Set at ToysRUs.com

(...) You're in Canada, though... in the US the railway unions that required 5 people for a 2-3 person job in order to "preserve jobs" have been broken and the caboose is no more. The conductor (and remaining brakeman when used) now often ride in (...) (22 years ago, 17-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 4535 - MOT Set at ToysRUs.com

(...) Based on my experience I would say that there are quite a few cabooses still in use, but mainly on the local jobs. Those jobs that have to make long shove moves into industries or between them sometimes have cabooses for use, not so much as an (...) (22 years ago, 17-Sep-02, to lugnet.trains)