 Trains / 17681
17680  |  17682
Subject:
9V point Super-mini-remote-controller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 01:56:03 GMT

Revieval of the 12V remote-controlled train layouts??!!

No more running around the track, just push a button, let an RCX control
your points, or whatever switching material you want to use.

You have to do some drilling and cutting, but it is absolutely worth the
hustle!

Herewith pics of the whole, super simple modification-proces. Do invest
this 30 min., for a lifetime switching pleasure....

One extra thing: it's absolutely necessary that the (inside)
glider-notches (pic.3) are completely removed, the thing must slide very
well. I also helps to apply some silicon-based grease inside. Works perfect.

You don't have to glue the backplate, just cellotape around the corners
will do. Should you ever have to grease the inside again: 2 min. job.

I've modified the setup a hundred times I think, trying combinations of
all types of technic en normal bricks.

This setup is my favorite solution: easy to find (except for the motor
maybe), standard (technic) pieces.
Maybe it looks a bit sloppy, but it defin. isn't!
All my remote-controlled points just do the job: they
(remote-controlled) switch from track A to B, and back    :-)

Also very nice: you still can operate the point by hand, the rubber belt
acts as a kind of replacement for the (removed) interior notches.
So, with a lack of Micromotors (who, besides me, has a dozen?) this
setup is also a good working replacement for the 'ugly yellow thing' !!

TIP: Do use a Round rubber belt. The gray and red ones are fine. Smaller
  ones give to much tension on the Micromotor, it can get stuck.
If so, the good-old 'running around the layout' is back again!    :-)

Reaction-time is approx. 1,5-2 sec. Keep that in mind when you operate
the thing with e.g. a RCX.

Good luck! Drilling and cutting time!

Next goal: a neat little housing on top. Anybody??

BTW: Dear Mr. Lego!  We need Micromotors!  A lot...

Klaas H. Meijaard